Thursday, August 5, 2010

Reminiscing and Updates

I have had the pleasure of talking with some of my neighbors this week; who reminded me of the time I said that "we were no longer going to park our cars on our lawn because I was going to make a garden".  That time seems ages ago, so I am going to take this time to give you a little photo time-line of how amazing this endeavor has been!
The parking lot.

Hand turning it.

Beds in place this spring...not knowing if anything would grow...

...more than we EVER imagined!  I feel incredibly blessed every time I look at our "parking lot".

Remember the tomatoes?

It's hard to see, but those are the same trellises and plants!

Our beautiful bird bath...

...is like a 'Where's Waldo' now.  
I have truly enjoyed this process!

And enough of the self-praise; updates about the garden: We finally pulled a sweet potato and they are HUGE!  Pretty psyched about that and we got roughly 10lbs for storage.


This is the Benning's Summer Squash I let get away...Yikes!

Eggplant still doing well, our biggest harvest yet!

And before the rain, I pulled our dry beans to find a pretty good amount of Mexican Bean Beetle Larvae.  I have taken measures to kill most of them by hand, and hopefully the organic spray I put on them will take care of any other larvae in the soil.  Don't want that to spread through the compost!  Luckily, the beans will finish drying in our solar dryer and won't be effected too much by the bugs.

And in the place of the beans, cauliflower (which was canned as Madras Lentils), and sweet potatoes we now have more Peas, Daikon Radish, Japanese Turnip, more Danvers Carrots and more Beets.  It was a busy productive morning!

Current status of our garden.

And lastly we have been bringing in a ton of tomatoes daily, so I made some Tomato Sauce and Diced Tomatoes this week.

Tomatoes love this hot summer and so do I!  

No comments:

Post a Comment