Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Stocking Up...Literally

This week has started my mad dash to preserve as much as summer as possible.  Although it may be 90 degrees out, to me it was the perfect time to make some chicken stock.  This is invaluable for us in the winter for soups and curries.  And the stock is best with fresh produce and herbs.  This can be pressure canned or frozen.
Another big deal that happened last week was that we finally purchased a chest freezer!  I can't explain how excited I am about this since our normal freezer was jammed.  Now I just need to finish filling it up.

So today I went to town blanching and freezing some of the local veggies. 

Corn and Red Peppers

Broccoli

Roasted Red Peppers.  I got this recipe from Happy Valley Locavore.

And miscellaneous other preserving projects.
Oregano, Sage and Parsley

10 lbs of local onions (can never have enough)

And this is what our cabinet looks like right now.  We are looking pretty good for this winter, and we are charging away at the Harvest Keeper Challenge!  Check out the sidebar for our current preservation tallies.

1 comment:

  1. The tally is filling up! Cant wait to try the Jalapeno pickles!

    ReplyDelete