Monday, August 2, 2010

This Week in the Garden


Just back from a quick vacation up in NH to visit the family.  The garden is still flourishing even without the constant care from me.  But when I got home, the powdery mildew had gotten a little out of control.  It has infected all the squashes and the cucumbers.  Luckily, I believe we can recover with some home-made garden spray of baking soda, dish soap and water.  I will keep you posted on whether it works out!

Here are some shots of the stuff that is doing well.  Zoo Loo Prince Daisy

An ear of corn (there are several now)

Soybeans

Tomatoes

Although this looks bad, these are our Jacob's Cattle Dry Beans.  They are drying out pretty nicely despite the humidity this summer.

Cosmos

And when I got home I did some harvesting.  All the cauliflower has been picked.

Zucchini and Benning's Squash.  Unfortunately the zucchini are club sized and one of the Benning's is the size of a small pumpkin.  That's what happens when you go away!

All kinds of tomatoes including some Amish Brandywine and Bolseno Heirlooms.

And I canned some diced tomatoes today.

1 comment: