Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Curried Beet Recipe

After checking out one of my favorite blogs: Happy Valley Locavore, I realized I needed to share this beet recipe.  It essentially changed my outlook on beets.  I highly recommend it if you enjoy curries and have fresh beets.  My homesteading friends in Vermont shared this recipe and they make a double batch without beans and pressure can it.


Curried Beets
3/4 lb or 1 bunch beets, peeled and cut into wedges
1/3 cup beans (I use a combo of kidney and adzuki) hydrated in 3 cups water
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large onion chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp flour
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/4 cups water


1) In a large sauce pan, saute garlic and onion in oil until tender, approximately 5 minutes.
2) Add spices, salt and beets and saute another 5 minutes.

3) Add tomatoes, beans and water and bring to a boil. 



4) Turn down heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until beets are tender.
5) Remove cover and add the flour and continue to simmer for another 5-7 minutes until sauce thickens.

6) Serve over rice or quinoa with naan.
7) If canning, omit beans and pressure can at 15 lbs pressure for 45 minutes.  




No comments:

Post a Comment