Monday, September 6, 2010

A Much Needed Update

I have been really slacking in the blogging department lately.  And since it's getting to be the end of the summer (well, today is Labor Day) and I actually start my real job this Tuesday; I thought it would be a good time to blog.  I leave for a 10 day wilderness canoe trip on Thursday for work, so it's been a little crazy around here getting things harvested and preserved.  And, I will admit, I haven't planted any fall greens in the garden, so the garden itself is looking a little haggard.  Enough of my excuses, here's what's been going on here lately.
We harvested our first watermelon!  And although the outside is suppose to be a dark green color instead of this lighter green, the taste was amazing!  It was around the 5 lb size.  And we have 5 more that are a little smaller but almost ready.  Along with the last cantaloupe that was hiding amongst the leaves.

Breakfast this week has been the best.

We are still harvesting a ton of tomatoes, so this was a pizza that featured some of the heirloom varieties we are growing.  Also, some fresh pesto from our basil.  I wanted to make sure to make this stuff before I left for my trip (love pesto), so I froze 3 half pints.

In the past couple days we canned more Curried Beets (7 quarts), Hot Garden Salsa (8 pints), and a Spicy Pineapple Salsa (12 half pints) ...and no, we aren't growing our own pineapples.  Along with other preserving projects our Harvest Keeper Tally is getting up there!  I will be canning some apple butter today.

Marc has been brewing away these past couple weekends.  Right now he has 2 brews going (hard to tell but that is what that picture is of: carboys wrapped in jackets to keep warm).  He's got an Oktoberfest Ale, and a Belgian Strong Ale bubbling away in our dining room.

Harvesting our Cranberry Pole Beans, dried nicely.

Our heirloom Blue Potatoes.  I just started digging some of these up.

Miraculously the summer squashes have come back after their Powdery Mildew attack...but now I don't mind the squash bugs all over them.

Thai Chili Peppers enjoying the past heat wave.

Newly planted peas getting bigger.

Brussle Sprouts, looking kind of sad, but I think we will be able to harvest them soon.  Unfortunately because it is still warm, there is a serious aphid infestation that may prove deadly to these guys.

Nasturtium that is flourishing now that the winter squash is out.

And because I wasn't on top of my game, the broccoli bolted.  Which is no big deal because the blossoms have attracted some bees that are happy for the pollen.  It is crazy how many bees are in these couple plants, you can hear the buzzing from the sidewalk!


I'm glad I left these plants in.  Who knew how pretty broccoli flowers are!

And, we have made the fall transition to Mums.

2 comments: