Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorable Memorial Weekend

We are back from visiting my parents over Memorial Day. It was a fun eventful weekend including gardening on my mom's porch garden, in my grandmother's back yard garden and brewing an all grain beer with my Dad and Uncle. One of the coolest things we did was attend an award ceremony for my grandfather because he is a surviving WWII veteran. But, now we are back home, and the garden grew A LOT while we were gone.

This morning I noticed some petite white flowers growing out of what I thought was only a forsythia bush. Obviously not so, but I don't have the slightest what it is. If anyone does, let me know!


Overview of the garden the night we got home. Much greener and much bigger.

Brassica bed: dino kale, broccoli, cauliflower and brussle sprouts.

Carrots, Onions and Parsnips...looks a little chaotic, but everything is doing well.

Before we left I planted the last of the two beds with bush beans including green beans, Jacob's cattle beans, soy beans and ying yang beans. Plus some rainbow chard is slowly growing in.

Pickling cukes doubled in size along with the Kentucky Pole beans. Unfortunately I found my first Cucumber Beetle last night, and immediately eliminated him. Guess I will now have to do that daily.

Tomatoes and petunias.

A Bell Pepper already growing, but something is going on with the pepper plants... leaves are browning.


And last week we had some amazing dinners and I couldn't resist taking some pictures.

Tofu Cacciatore with homemade tofu and sprouted noodles.

Grilled Portobello and Asparagus salad with home grown greens and homemade wheat croutons. The wedge of blue cheese really made this salad gourmet!

And last night we got our first taste of home grown peas! They are so sweet it is almost like a different vegetable then what you buy at the store. We will be making some madras lentils with them soon, but that will be for a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment