Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Northern Cardinals & an Ode to Pepsi

Recently a pair of Northern Cardinals have decided to use my trellis twine to make their nest.

At first it seemed pretty harmless, and the birds are pretty.
But, a couple of my trellises are teetering and I have had to reinforce them because of this constant pecking of support strings.
I have decided that this won't go on forever, and so I put out extra string so that maybe they would choose that for their nest instead of the string actually holding structures together. So far, all trellises are still holding up.

But, ultimately the most effective tool I have at keeping unwanted pests/pecking birds out of our garden is our dog Pepsi.

She does garden patrol from our second floor porch, and although she can't pounce on anything, she manages to scare most things off with her quick pursuit and then quick stop at the porch banister.

She has guarded our rooftop garden as well, although I think she just likes the view better from the roof.


Constantly watching everything that happens on our street.

But she is officially the most cuddly dog I have ever met.

2 comments:

  1. So Cool, great shots! Pep does a great job keeping those birds in check! She loves her veggies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I never thought about those pesky birds! But way to go Pepsi! May be Dad was right getting the wire for our trelles, but I won't tell him. Great pictures of Pepsi, though I think Dan might be a little offeneded, he was as cuddley as he could be given his size, and lets face it he did like you best. LOL The garden looks great, and I didn't realize how much you have on the rooftop deck that's great! Keep the pictures and stories coming. Love the updates!

    ReplyDelete